Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Tuesday


Three new 'finds' today. We went to one of the bigger greenhouses in this area. They had a great selection of plants. I found the jade in the corner of one of the houses, tucked away. I have been growing jade for a couple of months, and have about three plants, but none of them as big as the plant I found today. This is far from the biggest jade I have seen around here, but for seven dollars I thought it was a great deal. I have seen plants this size going for over thirty-five dollars around here. This plant needs some T.L.C., but it is a healthy specimen. It is around 30" tall, and probably 24" or more wide. The second picture is a variegated American agave, or 'century plant'. This is a cool plant that I have wanted for a while now. I have ordered a non-variegated American agave also. They will make a neat addition to our collection. Maybe one day we will see them bloom! Contrary to popular belief, It can take as little as ten years for a well established agave to bloom. While repotting it was a nice surprise to find seven 'buds' growing below the soil. I planted four of them, in hope of future plants. The third picture is a variety of 'echeveria', surrounded by sedum 'copper pennies'. This was a neat find that Valerie picked out. Hopefully the sedum will fill out the base of the echeveria.

No comments: