Sunday, May 07, 2006

Thinking about winter




Not much time to write anything lately. Never a dull moment. I guess I can't complain about that though. It beats the heck out of being bored. The greenhouse is going strong. We are learning more and more about what it takes to run a greenhouse. It basically boils down to babysitting 500 or 600 plants. 24-7. Yep the greenhouse is filling up quick. It will be time to build another one soon! We will be getting a business license soon also I think. Little Valley Greenhouse. I ordered the seeds for the winter annuals (pansies, kale, cabbage, and mustard). It seems weird to be getting the seed so soon, but they will have to be planted in early August to be in bloom by October...... Things are going good at work, I really enjoy the people I work with. I have passed up two jobs in landscaping this spring, which was hard, considering they were 10 minutes from home and the pay was basically the same. I also passed up a job as an operator making a lot more than I'm making now. Oh well I Want to stick with horticulture. I am a lawn mower jockey as of now, and I could think of many other things I would rather be doing, but after the past half-year I have realized that it is hard to find a decent company in landscaping. I really miss the money though. It will get better financially, I'm sure. I actually got a five thousand dollar a year raise recently, which will surely help. Maybe it will pay for my gas, it has been costing me 45 dollars a fill up. I fill up two times a week. No fun. Oh well.....It rained all day today, which was different. It has been a dry spring. Took the succulents over to the greenhouse and went to Wal-mart, my arch nemesis. It was not fun. We made the mistake of going to the grocery store hungry, and spent way to much........I don't have school for basically three weeks, which is good. I will enjoy taking a quarter off, and maybe a vacation......Things are greening up, the honeysuckle is blooming, and so are the magnolias. It is staying above 50 at night, and it is the 80's during the days. We did some landscaping at the greenhouse. We planted an actual 'garden' this Saturday, which I haven't done in three or four years. Cathrine helped plant some zinnias, marigolds, and petunias around the garden. She caught on quick and was actually teasing the roots that were root bound before planting them. Future horticulturist? We also planted a foundation bed around the greenhouse which is made up of ginger, cannas, salvia, impatiens, begonias, marigolds, and coleus. I turned out nicely.......... I'm done..........

No comments: