Sunday, September 21, 2008

Time to plant






Today was a nice day. The temperatures are cooling down, only making it to the low eighty's for highs. I am done with school for the quarter and I enjoyed a somewhat stress free weekend. No homework. The break will be short lived, however, as I will be returning to school in ten days. A very short break between quarters.....We planted some new plants in the Garden (I like to think my yard has reached garden status). I chose to plant a couple things today that are on the fringe of our zonal area. We planted a Bears breaches hybrid (Acanthus x Summer Beauty) , which I am counting on good results from. I also planted a couple lily of the Nile (Agapanthus sp.), that are typically a zone 8 plant. We are officially a zone 7b, so lets hope Al Gore is right. I also have a ginger lily in bloom. Ginger lily's are a great plant and it has taken a couple of years for it to establish enough to flower. It was a good day, well spent in the garden......I have changed my site around a bit to try and make it a bit more interesting. I have a poll, on who you are voting for, which is interesting to me. I will try to add a couple more interesting things in the coming weeks....Tomorrow is the first day of fall. I am ready for the first taste in the air, which usually comes around the end of September. The only bummer is that I wont be able to plant any more perennials. It is however the best time to plant trees. Anybody need a tree or fifty planted? .......Oh yeah, I have included a picture of an Agave americana 'variegata' That has been growing through the winter and is doing well. Agave's in Georgia?

No comments: