Sunday, February 11, 2007

D.I.Y.

I love the internet. You can find anything, well almost anything, you want to know. If I had the money I would buy books on the subjects I wanted to know about, but I can't. So I turn to the internet. There is always someone, or some group of folks that have a site specializing on the topic in question. Collect rare hats worn by dogs that appeared on T.V.? Looking for hard to find cereal boxes from the sixties? There is a site for everything. I have been forced to learn a new profession, or group of professions. All of them revolving around house construction, or remodeling, or anything for that matter having to do with owning and improving a home. I have only the quick, "cliff note" version to work with. Home improvement for DUMMIES I guess. I have worked in many fields, most of them pertaining to construction, but I have never worked on houses. Until now. I would love to hire out the jobs, and watch as the tasks are completed one by one, but we can't. One day, just not today. It is just as well. If I want to know about a specific field I do a quick web search and find what I need to know. Well most of it. There are certain things that no matter what you are told and how long you study there is no way to understand it fully until one has the "on the job training". My point is that I really enjoy learning these fields, but to say it is frustrating to take a crash course would be an understatement. I have become a proficient painter, an apprentice HVAC guy, a proficient plumber, and part time carpenter. There is so much to do, and it seems to be that when one task is completed there is two more that pop up as a consequence of the previous act. I like it, but I need two more days a week, and two thousand more dollars a week. Oh well, I will keep plugging away at the small stuff, and work up (and save up) to complete the larger tasks. I just cant wait to have the time to do the task that I actually DO, landscaping. It will be spring soon, and I have a list of things to do outside. Outside. Thats where I belong.....

No comments: